Friday, June 27, 2008

Culpable (The Poet)

i apologize...
for asking you to give in
to the indelible energy
emanating from you and me
shocking us into silence
with every encounter of
close proximity
when you were not
entirely available

for seducing your mind
presenting possibilities
of a tangible forbidden
hidden from the norm
under my tongue
where secrets begin to form
betraying the lies
that lie within

i apologize...
for giving myself so freely
tempting your senses
with the option of
"why not?"
when "why would?"
was the correct question
that you neglected
to bring with you to my doorstep

for actually
when actuality might have
surpassed our reality
of worlds colliding
sparking fireworks
burning in minute increments
springing from our origins
erasing the option of other

i apologize...
for letting go
floating on unspoken promise
reading between wishes
when you were drowning
in socially-manifested guilt
blind to the clouds above
hints falling on deaf senses
while fates laugh at human folly

for sinking into your submission
instead of saving myself
from my web of fables
spun in spite of past experience
forgetting that too often
passion's flames falter
when wells run dry

i apologize...
for adding you to my baggage
to my collection of broken dreams
paper wings pinned to my story board
serving as the latest landmark
another lesson in cold distance
applied to afflicted emotions
that continue to die a little more
killing kindness in its wake

-The Poet
Secret
Maroon 5
Songs About Jane

No comments: